27 April 2010

A sigh of relief

The doctor in Columbus doesn't seem to think there's anything wrong with the baby's renal system. The only abnormal thing he noted with the baby is a single-artery umbilical cord. Babies normally have 2 arteries and 1 vein in the umbilical cord, but missing an artery is a common problem. It can have adverse effects, but he didn't see anything to indicate that this is the case for us. Tom and I suspect it probably is related to the subchorionic hematoma I had early in the pregnancy. No matter; the baby seems to be healthy and well. They estimate her to be about 5.5 pounds, which would make her about 7.5 pounds when she's born. I'm going out on a limb and saying that's an underestimation by about a pound at least.

While the baby's stats are all in the normal ranges, my blood pressure is starting to creep up into the high territory. My regular doctor noticed this at my past few appointments, and the doctor in Columbus seemed even more concerned. He wants me to monitor my blood pressure at home to watch for preeclampsia. Even with close monitoring, I'm on strict orders to take it easy and not do any strenuous activities. I think I can handle that.

No comments: