25 August 2012

Closet progress

I've been working on a closet organizer for the master bedroom. It's far from done, but here's how it's shaping up so far. 

The center tower will have a tilt-out bin for a hamper with a couple of drawers above that for socks and undies. The rest of the tower will have fixed shelves for sweaters and such. 

The right side will have double rods for lots of hanging space. There will be a shelf above each rod. I found some shelving that we had pulled out of another closet during demo, cut it to size, and cleaned it up. After I scraped off a bunch of old contact paper and sanded it down, I realized it was a 12" wide slab of (what I think is) walnut! The board is way too pretty to just paint and use as shelving, so it's getting put aside - again - for another project down the road. 

So yes, it's got a long way to go, but it's getting there. Hopefully in the next week or so we'll have a place to hang clothes instead of the collapsed zip-up wardrobe on the other side of the closet.

21 August 2012

Finishing touches

I finally put the crown moulding on the two windows in the guest bedroom. It definitely makes it look more finished than just the 1x6 did. Here's a reminder of the before:

And the after:

I may still add a piece of lattice moulding to the top of the crown, but probably not anytime soon. I made Roman shades using a cheap set of vinyl blinds. You can unfortunately see the glue line through the fabric, but it's not bad for about $7 a blind! (I bought a bolt of fabric eons ago for $5, and it serendipitously exactly matches the wall color - another clearance find.) The amount of sunlight coming in is hugely reduced (this room has eastern, southern, and western exposures), keeping the room substantially cooler.

16 August 2012

Holy smokes. A whole month since I've blogged. And no, the bathroom still isn't done. Not even close. I took some time off from tiling to let my hand heal - the skin on my hands is super-sensitive and I thought that the mortar I was using was causing major irritation. It probably wasn't the mortar after all since my hand still hasn't healed, so I started back up again this week (wearing latex first-aid gloves to prevent any further skin irritation). This is the current condition. The vast majority of the tiles that are left need to be cut, so I'll be marking tiles tomorrow. If all goes well, I should be able to wrap up the tiling this weekend!