13 May 2013

One man's trash...

Vintage 1920s hinged casement windows
I can't even begin to express how excited I am. Our friends, Bruce and Becky, wanted to get rid of all the old windows from their house. The previous owner replaced them all with energy efficient ones, and the old ones have been taking up space in their attic, garage, and basement ever since. Bruce asked me if we wanted them, but Becky insisted they weren't in very good shape. I took a look and nearly passed out. My heart raced. I gasped. I may have even squealed. They are almost as tall as I am, with original 1920s brass hinges and latches - an old-junk lover's dream. The wood is in perfect shape, but they do need to be refinished. So now I have a vanload of windows in my living room, just awaiting the day they can be properly put to use. I've got big plans for this awesome find.

3 comments:

Living the life in The Little City said...

Oh my gosh! I'm so excited for you. I nabbed a lot of old windows with wavy glass that were being disposed of last year. Heart racing, just like you. I'm thinking of making a potting shed and using them. How are you going to clean yours and get the old paint off?

Sarah said...

I've used CitriStrip before and it works pretty well. It takes a long time for it to work (overnight or longer), and sometimes it starts to dry out. If you put a piece of plastic over the gel, it works for longer without drying out. Then scrape off the gel/paint goop. It's more time-consuming than the heat gun, but I'm more comfortable with the CitriStrip around the glass.

Unknown said...

Wow! These pieces may be counted as vintage. Definitely a great find! It just needs cleaning and clearing the glasses and repainting. If you have done it all, it would look good as new, and will make any room look classy. Keep us updated!

Francisco Close @Katch Mark