17 May 2013

More garden stuff.

Madame Calot peony in full bloom
I promise this won't turn into a gardening blog, but I just had to share a picture of the first peony to bloom.  It's about 6" across. The irises are still hanging in there but will probably be done in another week. Several times a week I collect a handful of wild strawberries from around the yard and the girls eat them for breakfast. About half of the dahlias I planted have sprouted, and yesterday I filled several hanging planters with petunias. Three of my faux-copper pots of pansies were stolen off my front steps, so I need to find something else to put there. Of course, stores are done with pansies for the year, so my new pots won't match the old ones. I have another post or two of house-related projects coming up, but I've been sick and can't seem to find the energy to tie up the loose ends that keep them from being totally done.

2 comments:

glenna said...

Beautiful.....not one I am familiar with. Peonies are my all time favorite flower and I truly miss them.

Sarah said...

I bought it from a nursery in Lithuania a few years ago. Believe it or not, it was cheaper to do it that way than to order from an American source! You can buy peonies pretty cheap in the spring, but like bulbs, peonies are best planted in the fall when local stores don't stock them. The smell on this flower is unbelievable (in a good way!).