19 June 2012

Finishing what I started, part 1

This side table my mom gave me was kinda rickety, the drawer bottom slid out of place when you tried to open the drawer, and it had scratches and water rings all over the top.
I used it as a bedside table in my room for a long time, but that faulty drawer bottom with a handsy toddler was a messy combination. I fwas thankful to find that the table legs were attached with bolts rather than nails, so a few turns of a wrench was all it took to make it solid. Then I sanded down the top completely. All the scratches and rings disappeared to reveal a gorgeous walnut top. 

The top got two coats of walnut stain and a couple coats of a wiping varnish. The rest of the table got primer and paint. I also ran a thin bead of glue along the back edge of the drawer bottom and clamped it. Now the drawer slides easily and the bottom doesn't fall out. It now resides in Clara's room and holds bedtime essentials - a lamp for reading, her Bobby bear, and a basket of books. I think it turned out pretty well.


glenna said...

I always did love that walnut side table. I picked it up after someone cast it out, and intended to use it somewhere, but never had the space for it. I knew it to be a sturdy table with a lot of possibilities. The work on the legs and the structure of the piece couldn't be finer.

Though I don't know why you would need to have put a walnut stain on the top of it along with the sealer, but I know (see) you did a stellar job on reinventing it. I hope it will give you YEARS of service. Keep up the good work.

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Oh it turned out beautifully!!

catvault said...

That vignette is so cute! Great job!

catvault said...

That vignette is so cute! Great job!